Happy almost new year!

What an amazing few months of non-boatbuilding activity! Im not being facetious, they have been amazing. Kate and I reworked the face and many systems within our family business (www.atkins.com.au), and it has taken every ounce of our energy and patience, (and adrenalin).

Regardless, I did slip into my overalls to keep the sharpie live (and my sanity).

Rounded chines from transomThe chines have been rounded, the bow knuckle shaped, the centreboard slot cut and the lip routed for the “zap flap”. I have also done some minor filling of screw holes and scratches.

I thought there needed to be some careful consideration for the chine rounding, some hydrodynamically critical radius that, like Brigadoon, I never properly found. I went with feel.

Slot cut and routed for zap flapThe centreboard slot was a dream, thanks to a router with a fresh guide bit. It romped around the radius like I had imagined it would. And the offcut…..it is like a core sample from the Arctic! You can see the bad years and the good years all layered up. Great fat layers of fairing between neat parallel ply layers. I shall keep one of these as a geological museum would..

The wackily named “zap flap” is a conjuring of Robert’s that prevents water jetting up the centreboard case. It requires a 25mm wide by 4mm deep ledge to be set around the case slot. Onto this is fixed a pair of flaps made from sailcloth and mylar, and this all sits in the ledge, flush with the hull. So this ledge requires some serious water proofing.

Slot detailsFor sealing this region, I intend to use thinned epoxy that will creep into the endgrain and build up a tough barrier. I have been trying to identify my container of TPRDA (epoxy thinner), I have several misty old bottles that are without labels, I have been testing their contents epoxy and have made some odd concoctions. None of which are trustworthy. I will have to buy another tube of it.

Laminating the centreboardDuring all of this I have been laminating up the centreboard. I initially worried about clamping such a big beast, particularly clamping it flat! Robert suggested I use Purbond for the lamination, because it does well filling small voids as might occur when you cannot clamp such a big item. The clamping went well with a nice flat bench and my pair of aluminium painter’s boards that I normally stand on to work on the hull.

Now to scribing the waterline….After that I will be in world of congealed snot, aka Fibreglassing.

About paulatkins

I own a 3rd generation family businss printing for lovers of photography. My favourite hobby is building and sailing wooden boats.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Happy almost new year!

  1. Alex says:

    What a most awesome hobby you have my friend. I have a hobby of making dioramas and customising diecast cars – lot cheaper when its in 1:64 scale 😉

    check out my site if you like http://mycustomhotwheels.com

    Oh and happy new year!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s