Planned and executed in military style.

I wish I could describe more of my boat construction in this way. Unfortunately, I often leave out a detail or two and find myself scrambling with epoxy-clad hands for a tool, which is great for the patina of the equipment, but not for the serene atmosphere in my ‘relaxation temple’/shed.

I had prepared every part of the centreboard case, including coating the inside bits with anti-fowling, ledges and head ledges were sized to perfection, pivot hole drilled and epoxy ‘bushed’…it was all ready for the glue up.

I glued up one half of the case and filleted it carefully, let it dry for the final assembly this weekend. I masked the fillets for the starboard side which have to be filleted once assembled (down the 90mm slot). I then considered how I would glue up and clean the the squeeze-out when I finally stick it all together.

Working alone, I had to consider how to place the final side on whilst it is all wetted out with thinned epoxy and spread with the thickened bonding epoxy, and it weighs a lot. The combination of 12mm ply, fiberglass and Copprcote is heavy. My solution was to set it up and wedge apart by 100mm, then lower by removing the chocks.

It worked a treat.

I made a clean up chisel ended stick to wipe away the squeeze-out. The stick is approximately 500mm long out of 9mm ply. The other end of the stick is tapered to the width of a tongue depressor. By taping a tongue depressor to the end I can form the fillets. And this is what I spent a few hours today doing.

I could scoop a glob of the thickened epoxy (e-glue by Botecote) on the tongue depressor, and carefully work it into fillets. It is slow work and I had to be very careful not to drop bits as I passed the tool in and out of the case.

After waiting for three hours I dove in to remove the masking tape. This did not go completely as planned. Tape is prone to tearing, and I had to use a long surgical clamp and a stick to pick it up when it tore. Worst of all, when I had over-filleted things, and yanked on the tape, it pulled out a bit of the fillet…Thankfully the epoxy could still be manipulated, and the filleting tool did it’s job.

All that is left is to apply some anti-fowl to the fillets and install the case into the hull.

– I did not mention this, but I have cut out the centreboard blank and tested it in the case before assembling…it swung on the pivot and filled my head with dreams of a fish-eye view, the foil cutting green water as we climb to windward…

About paulatkins

I own a 3rd generation family businss printing for lovers of photography. My favourite hobby is building and sailing wooden boats.
This entry was posted in Epoxy, Tools, Uncategorized, wood work. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s